- Expertise in literature reviews, health care policy issues, medical writing, health technology assessment, and project facilitation involving diverse stakeholders.
- A senior-level manager with 40 years in the medical field including experience as a health care consultant, family practitioner, ministry of health medical consultant, and vice-president of research in a government-funded health care organization (CADTH)
- A practical, collaborative style with an ability to quickly grasp new situations and to manage multiple tasks with adherence to deadlines.
- A Fellow of the American Medical Writers Association (2017) based on contributions to the organization on behalf of Canadian medical writers.
2003 to present: Independent medical consultant, Ottawa area, Ontario
I work independently and with various consulting firms and expert teams in health policy, primary and secondary research, and health technology assessment. My roles have involved authorship and medical review as a single author or team member, including team lead. Sample of clients:
- Accreditation Canada
- Alberta Health
- Atlantic Cardiovascular Society
- British Columbia Centre for Disease Control
- British Columbia Medical Association (Doctors of BC)
- British Columbia Ministry of Health
- British Columbia Patient Safety & Quality Council
- Canadian Agency for Drugs & Technologies in Health
- Canadian Blood Services
- Canadian Institute for Health Information
- Canadian Medical Association
- Canadian Pharmacists Association
- Canadian Society for International Health
- College of Pharmacists of BC
- Department of National Defense
- Elsevier Canada
- Hayes Inc. (Philadelphia, USA)
- Health Canada
- Health Council of Canada
- National Association of Pharmacy Regulatory Authorities
- Nunavut Department of Health and Social Services
- Ontario Medical Association
- Provincial Health Services Authority (BC)
- Public Health Agency of Canada
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- Universities of Alberta and Western Ontario
2000 to 2003: Canadian Agency for Drugs & Technologies in Health, Ottawa, ON – Vice-President, Research
- Organized and managed a research division of 20 scientific staff members, undertaking over 60 scientific projects with a team that tripled in size over a 3-year period.
- Established and promoted a continuing education program for staff that resulted in key networks with external professional groups.
- Developed a visiting scholar program for international scientists and students.
- Led a research team in collaborative development of internal policies and guidelines.
- Facilitated a relationship between research staff and industry leading to ongoing, productive interactions, and collaborative information exchange.
- Contributed to uptake of research knowledge by a health care decision-making audience through networking and participating in presentations, workshops, and committees.
1996 to 2000: BC Ministry of Health, Victoria, British Columbia – Medical Consultant, Regional Programs
- Reported to the Associate Deputy Minister.
- Participated as a medical collaborator and expert in a number of areas related to professional and hospital issues. Examples:
- Appointed Provincial Surgical Waitlist Coordinator and spokesperson on surgical waitlist issues including implementation of a web-based registry for surgeons and wait times.
- Assisted with the introduction of regulated midwifery, including drafting of legislation, determining remuneration and facilitating integration of the profession.
- Participated in decision-making and tracking of high-cost radiology equipment.
- Acted as the ministry resource on hospital bylaws for medical staffs, working with medical and legal experts and committees.
- Responded to medical issues from the Coroner’s Office and the Children’s Commission.
- Managed the processes related to on-call payment of rural and locum physicians.
1993 to 1995: University of Utah, Salt Lake City – Ambulatory Care Fellow and Graduate Student
- Awarded a US Veterans Affairs fellowship in ambulatory care including sponsorship of graduate studies in medical informatics and work with international experts.
- Participated on committees in ethics and quality improvement at the U of Utah Hospital.
- Provided clinical services to the Women Veteran’s Medical Clinic.
- Provided consulting services for various quality assurance activities.
1981 to 1993: Urban and Rural Settings in BC and Ontario – Family Physician
- Delivered care in various settings including private offices, emergency rooms, operating rooms, acute and chronic hospitals and facilities, public health clinics, and patient homes.
- Assumed the presidency of the Victoria branch of the Federation of Medical Women of Canada, leading to enhanced participation and enthusiasm.
Education and Training
- BSc (honours), UBC, Vancouver, 1976
- MD (cum laude), Dalhousie University, Halifax, 1980
- Rotating Internship, North York General Hospital, Toronto, 1980/81
- MSc (medical informatics), University of Utah, Salt Lake City, 1993/95
- Physician Management Institute Leadership series, Canadian Medical Association
- Medical Writers Diploma, American Medical Writers Association
PROJECT EXPERIENCE PAST 5 YEARS (2014 TO 2018)
|Consulting Group||Client||Initiation||Nature of Project||Role||Completion|
|Independent||World Health Organization||10/18||Distillation for publication of a report (roll-up of 20 separate reports) on primary care in middle- and lower-income countries||Lead author||03/19|
|ReVue Drug Evaluation Group||BC Ministry of Health (MoH) PharmaCare Drug Program||07/18||Review of pharmacogenetics (systematic review of the literature + interviews of industry leaders||Team member (interviews)||02/19|
|Independent||BC MoH Knowledge Management (KM) Branch||07/18||Effectiveness of culture as an intervention for Indigenous wellness in the areas of mental health and substance use||Author||Ongoing|
|Independent||BC MoH KM Branch||07/18||Virtual provision of services for mental health and substance use care||Author||Ongoing|
|Independent||BC MoH KM Branch||07/18||Implementation of an innovation centre at the Ministry of Health||Author||07/18|
|Independent||Lower Limb Review Online Journal||04/18||Evidence for ankle fusion versus ankle replacement||Author||07/18|
|Independent||Atlantic Cardiovascular Society||02/18||Background to regional clinical guidelines on cardiac rehabilitation||Author||Ongoing|
|Independent||Health Canada First Nations & Inuit Health Branch||05/17||Updating of clinical practical guidelines for RNs working in remote communities||Author||06/18|
|Independent||Canadian Blood Services||02/15||Systematic reviews of scoring systems for liver transplantation & medical writer for expert panel deliberations – now writing this up for publication||Author||04/18|
|Independent||Royal Australasian College of Surgeons||08/10||Literature reviews / of various topics related to emerging technologies + medical review of reports by other authors||Author & reviewer||Ongoing|
|Independent||Pulmonologist in Virginia / Blue Cross Virginia||01/18||Clinical guideline and US coverage review of the use of coronary CT angiography for patients with chest pain||Author||02/18|
|Independent||National Association of Pharmacy Regulators (NAPRA)||09/17||Background to a tool on pharmacist-patient communication about opioids (literature review and interviews with stakeholders)||Author||02/18|
|TheraBusiness (Ottawa)||Alcon Inc.||12/16||Literature reviews of state-of-the-art publications on a number of ophthalmology products||Author||Ongoing|
|Independent||BC Ministry of Health (Lab Division)||02/17||Review of provincial policy on access to and funding of pulmonary function testing, including a literature review and interviews with experts||Author||11/17|
|Independent||University of Alberta||07/16||Policy analysis for an HTA report on robotic surgery in Alberta||Author||10/17|
|Independent||Canadian Agency for Drugs & Technologies in Health (CADTH)||02/17||Emerging technology bulletins on two diabetes topics: (1) the artificial pancreas, (2) HbA1C for diabetes diagnosis||Author||07/17|
|Team member||Doctors of BC + BC Ministry of Health||07/12||Evaluation of Specialist Services Committee (SSC) one-time funding allotment – 20+ innovative projects being funded for up to 3 years||Lead||06/17|
|Independent||CADTH||02/17||Evidence review of HPV vaccination in men||Author||06/17|
|Canadian Society for International Health (CSIH)||Ministry of Health of Costa Rica||09/16||Introduction of health technology assessment to Costa Rica||Team member / Author||04/17|
|Independent||CADTH||11/16||Emerging technology bulletin on outpatient total hip arthroplasty||Author||03/17|
|Independent||CADTH||11/16||Evidence review of medical marijuana for neurodegenerative diseases||Author||12/16|
|Independent||Elsevier Canada||04/16 and 09/16||Two reports for specialist audiences: (1) Canadian management practices for anti-VEGF agents for acute macular degeneration and (2) Canadian management practices for actinic keratoses||Co-author with two experts||12/16|
|Independent||Health Quality Councils||10/09||Facilitating meetings of Canadian health quality groups||Facilitator||11/16|
|Independent||Atlantic Cardiovascular Society||04/16||Summarizing guidelines for management of diabetes mellitus in patients with cardiovascular disease||Co-author with experts||10/16|
|Lead team member||Doctors of BC + BC Ministry of Health (Specialist Services Committee [SSC])||01/16||Final evaluation of 2 SSC-funded projects on (a) electronic operating room booking and (b) wait time management, led by groups of BC surgeons||Lead author||09/16|
|Independent||Canadian Blood Services||01/16||Report on donated tissue bioburden reduction practices for an expert group and a consensus forum||Author||06/16|
|Independent||BC Ministry of Health, Health Technology Review Office (HTR)||01/16||Compilation of health technologies requested for assessment by the BC HTA office, including literature summaries and interviews with experts||Lead author||04/16|
|Independent||BC Ministry of Health, HTR||01/16||Development of two separate business cases and ad hoc HTA consulting||Author||04/16|
|Independent||BC Canuck Place Children’s Hospice||11/15||Business case to increase physician funding from the BC MOH||Author||01/16|
|Independent||University of Alberta||11/15||Provincial scan to determine assessment and funding of “companion diagnostics”||Author||01/16|
|Independent||Public Health Agency of Canada||10/15||Review of training methods to educate public health providers||Author||03/16|
|Independent||Ministry of Health of BC HTA||10/15||Evidence review of low dose CT screening for lung cancer in smokers to underlie development of a business case||Author||11/15|
|Independent||College of Pharmacists of BC (CPBC)||09/15||Developing stakeholder consultation materials for proposed pharmacist prescribing||Author||11/15|
|Independent||CPBC||09/15||Evidence review of the literature on dispending errors to underlie development of College standards||Author||11/15|
|Independent||CADTH||05/15||Emerging technology report on fecal microbiota transplantation||Author||10/15|
|Team member||CADTH||05/15||Updating of CADTH resource called PRESS (Peer Review of Electronic Search Strategies)||Co-author||07/15|
|Team member||Canadian Pharmacists Association & Health Canada||02/15||Plain language patient materials for prescription drugs included in the Compendium of Pharmaceutical and Specialties||Author / writer||07/15|
|Independent||BC Public Health Laboratory||02/15||With the Director, development of a forward looking plan for the Provincial Laboratory & refinement of the 2014-15 Strategic Plan||Co-author||04/15|
|Independent||Atlantic Cardiovascular Society||03/14||Development of a document summarizing guidelines for oral anticoagulation based on expert consensus and evidence||Author||05/14|
|Independent||Public Health Agency of Canada||02/14||Summary report of accomplishments and challenges for an on-line learning program aimed at public health workers in Canada||Author||03/14|
|Independent||CADTH||01/14||Four technology reports: Oncotype DX for breast cancer, biomarkers for brain injury, MelaFind and atrial fibrillation monitoring post-stroke||Author||03/14|
|Independent||BC Center for Disease Control Laboratory Services (BCCDC)||01/14||Working with the CEO to develop a Ministry-oriented document on the services and standards at the Provincial Microbiology Laboratory||Report co-author||04/14|
|Independent||ASERNIP-S||12/13||Emerging technology reports on several new medical devices||Author||01/14|
|Independent||BC MOH Medical Services Division (MSD)||10/13||Evidence review of DNA testing for mitochondrial disorders, including interviews with BC experts||Author||02/14|
|Independent||BC MOH HAD||08/13||Provincial framework for 24 /7 radiologist coverage including 55 interviews with radiologists and other stakeholders||Project manager||03/14|
|Independent||BC MOH MSD||12/12||Physician consultation as needed for staff at MSD (generally questions about public coverage of procedures)||Lead||07/14|